WARNING: This blog is NSFJ (not safe for January)
Struggling to stick to those lofty new year’s resolutions? Moaning through a month on mineral water. We’re here for you! We think its time for you to break those New Year’s resolutions, and break them in style.
1. Don’t go dry, head to a beer festival!
No Alcohol? All January? That sounds awfully difficult. If you’re about to cave in, be civilised about it! January boasts some marvellous drinking events to wet even the thirstiest whistle. Why not try Manchester’s Beer & Cider Festival, featuring over 300 cask ales along with traditional ciders and perries, real ale in a bottle and both bottled and draught foreign beers. Check out trains to Manchester.
2. Don’t go to the gym, head outdoors!
Forget that pricey gym membership, changing room awks and protein shakes (you know it’s not going to last). So what if its cold! Man-up, grab your duffel coat head to the Lake District for your exercise fix. Who needs central heating and talcum powder anyway? Take a look at trains to the Lake District.
3. Don’t save money (except on train travel) Its time to treat yourself!
Down with the Detox! Its time to chomp your way to victory with some serious pig outs!
- Challenge your friends to the MeatFest Challenge at Reekie’s Steakhouse, Edinburgh. Make your way through a whole rack of ribs, sides and an extra 450 grams of brisket, pork and burnt ends to get your picture on the wall, a t-shirt and a half price meal. Buy train tickets to Edinburgh.
- Take on the 258oz Steak Challenge at Gilroy’s Steak House and Bar, London. This pricier eating challenge is more of a team effort (we suggest 5 people), and offers excellent food with great views of the River Thames. Buy train tickets to London.
Blow your first pay cheque in style!
- Treat yourself to some new threads in one of Leicester’s many boutique stores in the Silver Arcade
- Pick up some quirky antiquities in the Brighton Lanes.
- Head to one of London’s Westfield Shopping Centres for the best of fashion, luxury, food and cinema.
Treat yourself to a West End Weekend
There’s no business like show business. Catch a show in London and make a night of it with a free hotel stay when booking through thetrainline.com, with awesome shows including from ‘Thriller’ to ‘The 39 Steps’.