It’s the tallest monument in North East England, but how much do you really know about the Blackpool Tower?
1. It takes 9 tonnes of paint to cover the tower
That’s the same weight as a fully grown Polar bear.
2. The tower closes if it’s really windy
The tower is usually closed if the wind speed reaches 45 miles per hour or more. Hold on to your hats.
3. The Glass skywalk at the top is 5cm thick
That’s rumoured to be strong enough to hold the weight of 2 Elephants.
4. It has the UK’s highest post box
The post box at the top of the tower opened in 1949, and to date is the highest in the UK.
5. The Blackpool Tower lift travels around 3500 miles up and down every year
That’s about the same distance as London to parts of Central Africa